Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eggplant Stew


My absolute favorite food of all time is eggplant. I could eat it anytime of year, with anything, or by itself. I often add eggplant to my pasta sauce, and order it on my pizza. The other day I saw graffiti eggplant at the grocery store. They are light purple, streaked with white, and are a little thinner than the aubergine eggplants. I have never seen them before so I had to try them. They have a similar taste to white eggplant. In addition to my eggplant I also picked up baby bella mushrooms, an onion, fresh basil, and a yellow pepper. I decided to throw all of my purchases together in a large pot along with some things I had at my house such as a can of crushed tomatoes, a medium tomato, olive oil, garlic, and a can of black olives. With these items I added some chicken broth and milk to make my hearty eggplant stew. Cutting the vegetables is most of the work. After that is done you just let the veggies simmer and reduce down. I also toasted some bread in the oven to dip in the stew. This dish was delicious and the leftovers were just as good the next day. The dish can also be eaten cold. Hope you like it!

Ingredients
  • 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 eggplants, (graffiti, aubergine, or white) chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1- 6oz can black pitted olives,
  • 1- 14 oz can chicken stock
  • 1- 2lb can crushed tomatoes
  • a handful of fresh basil
  • a dash of red pepper flakes
Garnish
  • parmesan cheese
  • fresh toasty bread

Directions
  1. In a large heavy pot, add olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. Add onion, cook about 30 more seconds, then add the eggplant. Turn heat down to medium and stir mixture every few minutes.
  2. Once eggplant is starting to cook add the mushrooms, pepper, crushed tomatoes, chopped tomato, and chicken stock. Turn mixture back up to medium high. Stir every few minutes. Once mixture is bubbling and veggies are reducing, turn it down to a simmer.
  3. Let mixture simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until are veggies are cooked through.
  4. Add the basil, olives, milk, and red pepper flakes. Stir in and let simmer about five more minutes. After that it is ready to serve. Top with some parmesan cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment