Thursday, April 8, 2010

Grilled Fish with Fruit Salsa


This unusually warm April weather had me craving something light and tasty. Especially after eating very heavy and dense foods for Easter, and then of course the days of leftovers to follow. I decided I wanted to grill some white fish and create a fruit salsa. I headed off to the store to see what looked fresh in the produce and seafood sections. I choose kiwi, mango, red onion, lime, cilantro and tomatoes for my salsa, and red snapper for my white fish. I made the salsa first and set it in the refridgerator to chill. Then I marinated the fish, and prepared a side salad and sauteed zucchini to go along with my fish, while my grill was heating up. I grilled the fish for a few minutes on each side and topped it with the salsa, some fresh cilantro, and fresh squeezed lime juice when it was time to serve. The sweetness of the fruit salsa paired perfectly with the grilled fish. This dish would be perfect for kids who are not big fans of fish because the salsa covers up the fishy taste, while incorporating fruits into the meal. My family loved this recipe and I hope yours does as well!


Fruit Salsa
  • 2 kiwis, diced
  • 1/2 mango, diced
  • 1 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
  • 1 small tomato, diced
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, torn
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  1. Dice all ingredients. Put into bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Marinade
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, torn
  • salt
  • pepper
  1. Combine first four ingredients in a bowl. Pour over fish, then sprinkle salt and pepper and let stand for 15 minutes.

Fish
  • 1 lb red snapper (or mild white fish of your choice) cut into 3-4 fillets
  1. Preheat grill to about 350-400. Spray rack with cooking spray.
  2. Place fish fillets on rack.
  3. Grill fish a few minutes per side until flakes with a fork. (cooking time varies depending on how thick the fish it)
  4. Once fish is done move it to a serving platter and top with salsa, and additional cilantro and lime juice if desired. Enjoy

Garnish (optional) fresh cilantro leaves
Lime Juice

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. Perfect for this time of the year. We're lucky because Oliver loves fish, but this will be a good way to introduce some more fruit to him.

    ReplyDelete