Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Creamy Pesto Pasta With Shrimp


Last night, after a long day of hiking I was craving something sinfully delicious. I decided I wanted to try to duplicate a creamy pesto pasta I had for lunch at an Italian restaurant a couple weeks back. The dish featured a creamy pesto sauce, pasta, and shrimp. My mother and boyfriend are always willing to try my creations so having them both around last night was the perfect opportunity to test out my recipe. I was very satisfied with the outcome and judging by their empty bowls, they were as well. I used frozen shrimp and homemade pesto but fresh shrimp and store bought pesto can be substituted. This recipe is simple, quick and delicious. Enjoy!



Creamy Pesto Pasta with Shrimp



  • 1 cup pesto sauce
  • 1 cup half & half
  • 1 lb frozen shrimp (peeled)
  • 4 plum tomatoes, diced
  • 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 box Campanelle or Ditalini pasta
  • 1/3 cup roughly chopped almonds
  • salt



For Garnish (optional)
grated fresh parmesan cheese

cubed fresh mozzarella




Directions



  1. Heat a large pot of water over high heat until boiling. Add 1 tablespoons salt to the water. While the water is heating, dice tomatoes.
  2. Turn water down to medium-high and cook pasta according to package. Add shrimp to the pot when there is two minutes remaining in the pasta's cooking time. Drain when done.
  3. While pasta is cooking, heat half and half over medium heat. Let it get a little bubbly and slightly thickened. If it does not thicken on its own, whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour.
  4. Once pasta is drained stir pesto sauce into the cream. Then add almonds and parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir until well incorporated.
  5. Return pasta and shrimp to pot. Top with diced tomatoes. Pour pesto cream sauce over pasta and shrimp. Mix well. Top with fresh parmesan and mozzarella if desired. Serve and Enjoy

3 comments:

  1. I tried this the other night. Not a big fan of Pesto, but with the addition of the cream, it was wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. I'll definitely try it. I love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I was lucky enough to be a taste tester for this. The creamy pesto sauce meshed with the shrimp and pasta and cheeses very well. I went back for seconds ... and thirds!

    ReplyDelete